• Author

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: @LTS_3

Games Completed in 2015 and a Rating

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 10:22 am

New year, new thread

THE EVIL WITHIN - 7.5

Just simply the hardest game I have ever played in my life.

Start at the start, if you like the original Silent Hill, Resident Evils you will definitely like this, and there is even bits of The Last Of Us in there

There are 3 levels of difficulty, I started on Medium and did the first 7 chapters on this - had to drop down to 'Easy' to finish the remaining 8 chapters (or I would never have finished it), and completely struggled even on that. Never seen a game where ammo is so scarce, there are literally parts where you will have say 7 weapons and not a single f.cking bullet between the lot of them!

Some enemies are absolutely massive and they're just normal ones - the boss fights are something else. You meet an absolute beast at the end of Chapter 3 and they just keep coming from there. At the end of 5 or 6 you meet a boss in a quite open arena where you can run around and stuff who you think is solid ... in the final chapter you have to beat two of the f..kers in an absolutely tiny arena, with virtually no ammo. I arrived at the final boss of the game as a quivering wreck as I literally didn't have a single bullet on me - luckily it gives you weapons to fight him with, or I would have had to give up

Story is completely off its t1ts as you would expect

Shows you stats at the end, took me 15h11m, and 103 deaths - which was a surprise as I made a tentative guess that I had died around 300 times before I saw that

Sounds like I didn't enjoy it - I did and I've been after a game like Silent Hill, RE etc for a while, but it just would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't so hard. Never played Dark Souls, which I think is supposed to be the hardest console game of recent times, but there is no way I want to play that if it is harder than this - no matter how good you think you are, if you get this (which I do recommend), please play it on Easy from the start

======================================================================================================

2014 ratings http://www.b17mb.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2215&p=30292&hilit=completed#p30292

r3wind

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

• Twitter: richystewart

Re: Games Completed in 2015 and a Rating

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 11:51 am

Playing through Dragon Age Inquisition at the moment and loving it, will feedback when finished :)

Able87

Juninho

• Twitter: Twitch - Able87

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 12:28 pm

r3wind wrote:Playing through Dragon Age Inquisition at the moment and loving it, will feedback when finished :)

Same, think it'll be close to end of 2015 before we review it. 8)

bailster

Jeremie Aliadiere

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Wolfenstein : The New Order

9/10

Got this for Christmas. My missus daughter wanted to get me a game and actually took some time to ask what type of games I like and then went and got a recommendation. W: TNO was what she got me and I was quite pleased as a few podcasts I listened said it was suprisingly good. My worry though was that I was well into Insurgency multiplayer at the time and I thought I might get bored playing a single player campaign....wrong.

With no multiplayer component the devs could concentrate on making a quality SP campaign and every aspect of the game is really well though out and polished. Guns feel great, there's plenty of loot and weapon upgrades. There is a really good stealth \ action mechanic where you can play some levels stealthily, but if it goes wrong you aren't punished too harshly for it. Basically you can choose how to approach the levels without too much consequence either way. The skill tree works really well rewarding your particular style of play with relevant abilities.

The campaign took me about 12 hours, but I didn't rush. The missions were mainly well designed and fun, albeit it does lose it's way in a couple of later chapters, but gets back on track before the end.

One area I didn't expect it to excel though was the story - the acting and cut scenes are fantastic and really drew me in. Yeah, it gets a bit bonkers at times, but so what. I'm on my second play through (for the alternative timeline) and still loving it. Highly recommended.

Able87

Juninho

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Assassins Creed: Unity

After getting back into the AC games with the superb black flag, I consciously waited a while to pick up Unity, since there was a LOT of issues at release.

The wait, was well worth it.

Spectacular setting of the French revolution, the amount of characters on screen at once is at times mind-blowing, talking 300-500 people.

The city itself is just outrageously detailed, and I actually learnt a little bit of history! B)

There is no dropping back into present day like some of the AC games do, which I hate, so that's a huge plus.

The story is decent, I mean it's nothing that'll win Oscars but it serves its purpose well. Although I did lose *what* was happening at times.

Love how open the main assassin missions are........ I bet if I played it another 50 times I'd never end up going the same route to a kill.

I picked this up on Wed/Thur, and I've just finished the SP. I've hardly been off it.

I've took .5 pts off because of the weird english/french speech they have. Why am I hearing cockney peasants in France?

Another .5 because of the MP. It takes a long long time to find a game (granted you can still play SP whilst waiting) but then playing with randoms you just get chumps jumping into the biggest fights they can, instead of, being assassin-y

Anyway, they are minor gripes, to a truly fantastic game.

Off to pick up the DLC now.

Assassins Creed Unity - 9/10

bailster

Jeremie Aliadiere

PostThu Jan 29, 2015 6:35 pm

I've hardly finished any games in the last couple of years due to mainly playing multiplayer. 2015 - two games done in January!!

Dishonored - PC

I picked up Dishonored GOTY edition for about £6 a while ago. It's a game I've wanted to play for a while, but an hour or so into the game and I was close to giving up. It didn't grab me initially as it plodded through the first mission. The story seemed generic and the movement cumbersome. I quite liked the art style, but the graphics are poor in my opinion. Many of the textures are very low res and look awful up close.

It wasn't until the game started to introduce the supernatural powers that I started to "get" it. The various abilities provide you with numerous ways to achieve your goals. At it's heart though it is a stealth game - yes, it allows you to go in all guns blazing if you want. It also allows you to play as a stealthy assassin, quietly moving through each level killing every guard you encounter. The problem is though unless you stealthily and peacefully complete each mission the game infers that you've done it wrong. This starts to grate after a while. I quite like stealth games, but you do have to be in the right frame of mind to play them (well I do). The game took me about 13 hours to finish, but I've heard people playing the stealth way taking twice as long. That's a long time for me to be in the right frame of mind!

In my opinion the best way of playing it is as a stealthy assassin. Some of my best moments in the game were when I probably could have got past some enemies without them noticing, but decided to kill them before they knew I was there. Unfortunately that meant that my buddy that sailed me to every mission stopped talking to me towards the end of the game and I got the bad ending. The last game I played was Wolfenstein and it handled though whole stealth\action approach so much better.

I still enjoyed my time with the game and I am now going to work my way thorugh the DLC.

7.5/10 (take 1 off that score if you don't like stealth games, add 1 if you do).

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

• Twitter: Jooky85

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 11:24 pm

Alien Isolation - 10/10

Brilliant game. Got it at Christmas and it's taken me probably 6/7 weeks of play through. Not sure what my final time was, but it was just long enough. Admittedly a lot of that time was spent hiding in cupboards not doing anything :mrgreen:

Such a well made game though and a breath of fresh air. True next gen. The graphics are superb. They may not be the flashest, or brightest but its all about atmosphere and it delivers in buckets. Lighting, shadows, flames, and the Alien itself just looks gorgeous. But where it excels is sound. It's the first game I can remember playing where sound is so important. I played it on surround sound headphones and I think it'd be solid without something like that. You use sound to navigate, to find the Alien, to avoid danger. But it immerses you as well and sucks you in.

The Story is decent, I enjoyed it, I wanted Ripley to survive. The other characters didn't grow on me much like. But then the Story is just a mechanism for the main star. The Alien is AI is unreal. It's 99% unscripted and turns up, learns your moves, listens for you, sees you, thinks about what you're doing and hunts you down. You genuinely feel like it's chasing you and you're powerless to stop it. The fact you can't kill it helps. This isn't an action game, this is pure survival and by the end I was weighing up hunting for items, sprinting for the exit or crawling around hiding under tables hoping it left me alone. Scariest game ever.

Deserves all the praise it's got. Play it if you like to be scared, like atmosphere and like survival horror. Play it if you like the Alien films. A for gods sake don't give up on it either, because its mighty hard in places and pretty uncomfortable to play sometimes - but its an experience.

One of my favorite games, up there with The Last Of Us. Honestly.

Able87

Juninho

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 11:28 pm

8) 8) 8)

Happy to see you finished it, and enjoyed it!

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

Alien Isolation - 9/10

Epic stuff. Scared shitless through most of it (mostly due to childhood memories of the movies that scared me and left a lasting impression)

Agree with everything Pete says up there

one thing he didn't mention were the creepy as fuck androids.....bastards

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 8:32 am

Far Cry 4 - 8/10

Excellent stuff as expected from the Far Cry games nowadays

MASSIVE world to explore from the off, excellent weapons and some epic battles and set pieces

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 10:44 am

ASSASSIN'S CREED BLACK FLAG - 8.5/10

Excellent game and shows what the PS4 is capable of, graphics are class throughout, stunning at times. Loads of stuff done right in this - the hand to hand combat, the free running, the ships full stop, the naval combat, the map/locations/scenery, side quests etc etc and I don't think I will ever get bored of climbing up a massive building/synchonising view/diving off into a bail of hay/water

Think I spent about 16 hours on it maybe, finished all the story missions and did plenty of plundering and so on, but was still only 55% complete! There would be a 20+ hours left on this imo if I were to attempt to do everything in it, I would definitely have done more if it had come out 5 years ago before I had kids, but game time is at a premium now so need to move on

If you have liked any AC game in the past, you will like this. In saying that, the same issues remain that I had with every previous game - jumping out of the actual game into the present day and missions involving following/tailing/evesdropping are all terrible and a chore

Will definitely get Unity at some point, cant play two in a row, but I've heard that its very good and removes some of the recurring issues mentioned above

======================================================================================================
THE EVIL WITHIN - 7.5

2014 ratings viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2215&p=30292&hilit=completed#p30292

Able87

Juninho

PostWed Feb 25, 2015 6:34 pm

LTS - you will love Unity then. Superb game.

DanBailey27

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: @DanBailey27

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Just finished The Last Of Us. A very good game, but a fucking awful and illogical story arc. Fuck off.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 5:21 pm

DanBailey27 wrote:Just finished The Last Of Us. A very good game, but a fucking awful and illogical story arc. Fuck off.

Ha! I loved the story! B)

Able87

Juninho

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 5:23 pm

Footy, games, trains.... Is there anything that doesn't make you angry? :D

What was up with tlou?

DanBailey27

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: @DanBailey27

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 5:30 pm

Hahah not much Able. And I agree Pete, storyline is exceptional.But the way Joel takes Ellie at the end and kills Marleene, thus denying the creation of a vaccine ruins it for me. Properly ruins it. Fair I understand the romantic side to it e.g replacing his daughter, the connection etc. But it just annoys me. Perhaps it is supposed to antagonize. For me personally, I end up hating Joel despite him being the protagonist. Brilliant game definitely. Awful ending though imo.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 6:42 pm

just shows his decent into complete psychoville if you ask me

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 7:17 pm

DanBailey27 wrote:Hahah not much Able. And I agree Pete, storyline is exceptional.But the way Joel takes Ellie at the end and kills Marleene, thus denying the creation of a vaccine ruins it for me. Properly ruins it. Fair I understand the romantic side to it e.g replacing his daughter, the connection etc. But it just annoys me. Perhaps it is supposed to antagonize. For me personally, I end up hating Joel despite him being the protagonist. Brilliant game definitely. Awful ending though imo.

See I liked that, I thought it was a brave ending and a more realistic, human one. I didn't agree with his decision, but understood it.Horses for courses though!

Able87

Juninho

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 7:20 pm

It's only because he's waiting for her to come of age. Dirty fucker.

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 2:33 am

I don't think there's a single game I've played recently that ive thought "this is awesome" ... Nor are there any that make me think I might change my mind anytime soon.

Unfortunately a lot of games at the minute I'm finding repetitive. And the concepts for new games never seem to live up to my expectations.

Take Dying Light, in concept it should be amazing but watching some footage of it I just don't rate it (others feel the same as it's currently £25 second hand in Game, £20 in CEX)

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 8:40 am

you only play COD, Battlefield and Fifa ;)

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 9:35 am

Nath wrote:I don't think there's a single game I've played recently that ive thought "this is awesome" ... Nor are there any that make me think I might change my mind anytime soon.

Unfortunately a lot of games at the minute I'm finding repetitive. And the concepts for new games never seem to live up to my expectations.

Dying Light did come as a let down for me. But Alien Isolation (I'll keep banging on about it til more people play it) was both awesome and refreshing.

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 10:44 am

Haha fuck off Tun I've not played CoD since BLOPS/MW3

I only play FIFA/BF4 now because there's nothing out there interesting me. I played Last of Us and as good as it was I wasn't blown away by it.

Most games I've seen video of ive not been impressed with once it's been released, in the previews and announcements I've been intrigued/impressed but when they're released I've not been impressed

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 11:17 am

i think its an age thing....i've been underwhelmed by most new games for quite some time

although TLOU and Alien Isolation were superb!

getting back into GTAV now though and REALLY enjoying that

the only thing i'm looking forward to at the moment is the new Batman game....

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Aye maybe, suppose I have limited time to myself now too so I have to pick and choose more what games I use that time with, so I'm a lot more picky with games

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Mar 04, 2015 8:48 am

welcome to "the grumpy old cunt club"

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 2:15 pm

NEVER ALONE (PSN) - 7.0/10

Got this free on PS+, an excellent old-school platformer. It is quite simple in what you can actually do, but gets harder as you progress and the margin for error becomes very small - died quite a lot of times by trying to rush through bits instead of waiting for e.g., a platform to move to the right spot. Graphics are simple but class

Think I did it in 5 sittings, you could probably get through it in under 3 hours if you didn't die loads

First game I have 100% on PS4 8) would recommend to everyone to pick up whilst it is free, especially fans of platformers from NES/Megadrive etc days

ASSASSIN'S CREED BLACK FLAG - 8.5
THE EVIL WITHIN - 7.5
NEVER ALONE (PSN) - 7.0

2014 ratings
http://www.b17mb.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2215&p=30292&hilit=2014#p30292

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostThu May 14, 2015 9:53 am

Never Alone - 4/10

Good graphics....thats about it

Shit controls (aiming that boomerang thing is stupid, and the amount of times pressing the jump button register was truly annoying), shit AI (lost count how many times the one i wasn't in control of managed to get it/herself killed) and basic level design.....

so glad i didn't pay for it!

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostThu May 14, 2015 9:54 am

Unfinished Swan - 7/10

Mental....not sure what type of drugs the maker of this were on but i want some

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue May 19, 2015 9:07 am

VALIANT HEARTS (PSN) - 8.0/10

Got this free on PS+, an excellent game. The art style is unique, the whole thing is excellently narrated, there's loads of information on WWI - I would actually say this would be an effective learning tool in schools/for youngsters.

Some really good styles of levels which reminded me of games from years ago - there's bits where you switch between characters who have different abilities which was like an old Nintendo game called Vikings, the car levels where you are driving toward the screen reminded me of the classic level on The Lion King game, and the nursing/treating people mini game was like Guitar Hero!

The puzzles aren't too hard, more finicky, but I preferred just actually progressing through the level/story. Would recommend to anyone, hopefully you picked it up for free on PS+

VALIANT HEARTS (PSN) - 8.0
THE EVIL WITHIN - 7.5
NEVER ALONE (PSN) - 7.0

2014 ratings

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 4:02 pm

Batman Arkham Knight - 10/10

Superb

bailster

Jeremie Aliadiere

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Wolfenstein - The Old Blood (PC)

A stand alone expansion to The New Order that I reviewed in January (9/10). I was really looking forward to this, but despite it being more of the same it didn't reach the same standard of TNO. It is a much shorter game set before the events of TNO. It sacrifices story in favour of action and doesn't implment the stealth sections nearly as well.

That being said it is still a fine shooter with enough set pieces and explosice weaponary to keep it entertaining for the duration of it's 3-4 hour campaign.

The leaderboard based challenges almost had me, but the scoring system was too basic to sink it's teeth into me.

7/10

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 9:20 am

CALL OF DUTY ADVANCED WARFARE - 7.0/10

Finished the campaign as I do with all of them, again the story was compete b0llocks and I lost interest after the first cutscene. They had presumably paid Kevin Spacey a fair whack, as you couldn't skip any of the cutscenes and the ones he was in he was right up close to the screen

The game itself is quite different to the previous campaigns, it felt more like a Crysis game than COD I thought, with all the jumping and exo-suits etc. Some good setpieces, plenty of different stuff to do like vehicles, and some enemies which aren't just your normal soldiers. Last couple of levels are class when you are dressed in a big robot suit and just blow everything up

THE EVIL WITHIN - 7.5
CALL OF DUTY ADVANCED WARFARE - 7.0
NEVER ALONE (PSN) - 7.0

2014 ratings

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 3:18 pm

JOURNEY (PSN) - 8.5/10

Bought this last night and played through it in one go, took under 2 hours. I don't really know how to describe it - the first five minutes I thought 'well this is absolutely 5h1te what a waste of a tenner', as it went on I got more and more into it, especially from when you bump into another player and play along with them, communicating and helping eachother with no words just little beeps and passing jumping energy to eachother - a couple of times we got separated and I was stood waiting for them to reappear for a few mins, then was pleased when they did so I wasnt playing through it alone, including at the very end when it was obvious that when I went forward that was going to be the end

The music is fantastic and it some points I felt like I was playing a film rather than a game. It is had to categorise, its definitely not a game game, and completely not wanting to sound like a twat, it is a journey/experience

I like how there is nothing on screen or no options, its literally New Journey, no trophies pop up til the very end so nothing takes you out of what you are doing

Would recommend that anyone who plays it for the first time doesnt read too much or watch much about it, and try to get through it in one go. No doubt people could take longer than I did, I was pretty much moving toward where I thought I was supposed to go and the lad with me just came along so obviously wasnt trying to find everything or trophy hunt

JOURNEY (PSN) - 8.5
THE EVIL WITHIN - 7.5
NEVER ALONE (PSN) - 7.0

2014 ratings

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 9:18 am

WATCH DOGS - 8.0/10

Got this free with PS4 last September - I started on it then put it down for like 8 months - hammered it over the last two weeks.

One of the things that put me off I think was how busy the map is. I love the Assassin's Creed games, Red Dead, Sleeping Dogs, Mafia 2 and GTAV - in all of those you got a big f... off map BUT at the start it was almost empty and things like sidequests, jobs, shops, places to unlock etc etc got unveiled to you over time or as part of the storyline - in this there's icons all over the map straight away, you have no idea what they are or which is most important or if you can ignore them all

I literally just did the campain missions, ignoring almost all side quests and mini games etc cos I dont have time to do it all - prob took me about 14 hours to do the story, when I looked at the progress stats the game was only 38% complete! Would guess there was at least another 10 hours of side missions and challenges left

Some class missions and set pieces, some frustrating ones too where you have to do things slowly. Once you get used to the hacking and stuff, it's class to be driving round being chased and use the bridges or steam pipe explosions to block off the chasing cars. If you thought the police were hard in other games, they are solid in this, some chases took me about 10mins to escape!

One thing that is weak (and this is ridiculous to complain about) is the songs available when you're driving, very weak compared to others

Overall, definitely recommend

JOURNEY (PSN) - 8.5
WATCH DOGS - 8.0
THE EVIL WITHIN - 7.5
NEVER ALONE (PSN) - 7.0

2014 ratings

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 10:38 am

LORD OF THE RINGS: SHADOW OR MORDOR - 8.5/10

Didn't fancy this when it came out, simply because it was LoTR which Im not ar5ed about. Gave it a go and just ignored all that stuff, but to be fair it wasn't ramming the film stuff down your throat anyway, was definitely a standalone game

The combat is brilliant, similar to the Batman games but I think it's actually better. Some of the boss fights are just ridiculous, like 50 normal enemies and 5 super ones all at the same time. The end boss fight was a little bit of a let down, it was p155 easy compared to some of the earlier battles

The game borrows from a few others, like Batman and Assassin's Creed, but does enough to not seem like its just copying them. Took me just under 16 hours to finish the 20 main story missions and some of the side stuff - looked at the end and I was actually only 52% through the whole game - so there's easily 30 hours here for someone who wanted to clock it all

Another that I would definitely recommend

JOURNEY (PSN) - 8.5
LORD OF THE RINGS: SHADOW OF MORDOR - 8.5
WATCH DOGS - 8.0
THE EVIL WITHIN - 7.5
NEVER ALONE (PSN) - 7.0

2014 ratings

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 1:59 pm

LITTLE BIG PLANET 3 - 7.0/10

Picked this up for £12.99 on sale, wasn't really sure if it was a platformer or just a level creation thing - I wanted a platformer for my 4 year old to get into - turns out this gets pretty hard pretty quickly so he can only play the first couple of levels but he enjoys them

Fans of pure platformers, like the recent Rayman games, Mario etc will definitely enjoy this. There isn't too much in the campaign though unfortunately, maybe about 25 levels or something. There are an endless supply of levels from the community though which is good if you want to play those. Was going to try and create some simple levels for my lad but I opened it and the creator looks very complicated, might watch some tutorials at some point but got a lot of games to play

BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE - 6.5/10

Campaign was ok, but tended to force you to do it the stealthy way/arresting people rather than shoot out which would have been more fun - if you started a gunfight they would set an alarm off and you would just get swarmed. Quite hard in places aswell and you cant take many shots without dying. Graphics are class, and I liked how it is set out like a TV show.

Got it hoping that I would get into the MP, played a couple of 20minute games and didn't like it at all

THE ORDER 1886 - 6.5/10

Fancied this since it was released, but having heard how short it was I waited til it was £12 before picking up. It is short, probably about 7 hours in total .... but I would say at least an hour, maybe 90minutes of that is unskippable cutscenes (which I HATE).

Had no idea what was going on with the story, every time a movie came on I went on my phone til it finished. Enjoyed the shooting, enjoyed the big QTE battle bosses, the graphics and setting are absolutely class, but the pacing I have never seen anything like it in a game. It's almost like a movie where you play a bit rather than a game where you watch a bit of cutscenes.

There are 16 chapters - some of them you will be shooting and running round for like 40 minutes ... others are simply a 5-10 minute cutscene where you don't even control or do anything! Don't think Ive seen such long cutscenes since MGS3, which I abandoned because of them.

8.5 - ASSASSIN'S CREED BLACK FLAG, JOURNEY (PSN), LORD OF THE RINGS: SHADOW OF MORDOR
8.0 - VALIANT HEARTS (PSN), WATCH DOGS
7.5 - THE EVIL WITHIN
7.0 - CALL OF DUTY ADVANCED WARFARE, LITTLE BIG PLANET 3, NEVER ALONE (PSN)
6.5 - BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE, THE ORDER 1886

2014 ratings

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 9:53 am

Updated with The Order

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Oct 22, 2015 10:22 am

UNTIL DAWN - 9.0

Absolutely loved this. Completed it in just four sittings, think it took about 8 hours (plays out almost in real time in 10 chapters over the course of a night).

Undoubtedly influenced by horror films of the 80s/90s and classic games. Games it reminds me of in places - Heavy Rain, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, The Last of Us, Alan Wake. Movies Saw, Halloween, Friday 13th, I Know What You Did Last Summer etc etc. It plays like a mashup of all of those. The graphics are excellent, as are the score and effects, it feels like you are playing a horror film. Playing with lights off and headphones on, I actually jumped 5 times, which is more than Ive done with any actual horror film in as long as I can remember.

Didn't really know how it would play from the reviews I saw, but basically there are 8 characters, you take control of all of them at different times, and are presented with decisions to make along the way - the choices you make have consequences later in the game (for example, I decided one thing between two characters about halfway through the game, then later on, the other character had the chance to save the one I chose, but decided to let him get killed cos of my earlier decision). It shows you flashbacks at times when your previous decisions have affected something.

You make loads of choices throughout, but there are about 20 that are called Butterfly Effects, so there could be a load of different ways the game plays out for each person who plays it. It shows the % of each decision that other players have made, about halfway through I thought 'I want to make the decisions that I probably shouldnt', so I made it into the best kind of horror film/game, rather than trying to keep everyone alive. As soon as I finished it I went back in and started again, finished the first chapter but Ive now decided I am not going to go through it again and just leave it as what I got

There are quite a few QTE moments, but they are the most intense ones I've ever seen in a game, if you are being legged for example, you sometimes have less than a second to press the right button and there are no retries if you miss them, it will just change the story as appropriate.

It is just class. The game I have enjoyed most this year, so top of the pops for me

9.0 - UNTIL DAWN
8.5 - ASSASSIN'S CREED BLACK FLAG, JOURNEY (PSN), LORD OF THE RINGS: SHADOW OF MORDOR
7.5 - THE EVIL WITHIN
7.0 - CALL OF DUTY ADVANCED WARFARE, LITTLE BIG PLANET 3, NEVER ALONE (PSN)

2014 ratings

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostSat Oct 31, 2015 10:33 am

was gonna get Until Dawn when it came out.....but work and holidays got in the way

i still haven't got it and i'm going back to work on Wednesday so i'm gonna have to wait until i come back from that trip before i get it

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Nov 05, 2015 10:49 am

LAST OF US: LEFT BEHIND (PSN) - 7.0

Not sure why I didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted to/thought I would - maybe it's because it was ages since I played LoU, I think it would definitely have been better if I went straight into it

The action bits were good, but the bits where you are just walking round and talking and looking for collectables bored me to be honest

Still, worth playing and was only £3.99 when I got it. Lasts about 2 hours

KING'S QUEST EPISODE 1 (PSN) - 7.0

Got this free on the PS Plus monthly games, enjoyed it - if you liked DiscWorld, Monkey Island etc you will definitely like this. Had to use a guide later on as I was just walking round with absolutely no idea how to get a couple of items or what to do with the ones I had. Narrated by Christopher Lloyd. Four more parts to come out, will get them when on sale

9.0 - UNTIL DAWN
7.5 - THE EVIL WITHIN
7.0 - CALL OF DUTY ADVANCED WARFARE, LITTLE BIG PLANET 3, NEVER ALONE (PSN), LAST OF US: LEFT BEHIND (PSN), KING'S QUEST EPISODE 1 (PSN)

2014 ratings
Last edited by LTS_3 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostThu Nov 05, 2015 11:59 am

i enjoyed it but i played it right after completing the main story....

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Dec 24, 2015 10:26 am

ASSASSIN'S CREED UNITY - 7.5

Enjoyed this but not as much as Black Flag. Paris looks amazing, the movement has been improved and the fighting has too. Massive improvement that they've finally removed the pointless present day missions but a couple of things marked it down for me

There are still too many missions where you have to follow someone who walks at the speed of a 90 year old, there were two missions virtually exactly the same and very close together where people are getting guillotined, and for me personally there were a couple too many missions where it had to be played like Hitman - you would go into a palace or another very tight building and there would be a huge amount of enemies, died loads on these as I prefer just fighting them all

Also load times were too long for a PS4 game IMO. Think I had only completed the game 35% or something, but there are a hell of a lot of side missions and hundreds of collectables that I cant imagine anyone has done

Going to leave it a few months before getting Syndicate

Last one for the year, a solid year's gaming with a good few hours on FIFA and COD on top of all the below

9.0 - UNTIL DAWN
7.5 - THE EVIL WITHIN, ASSASSIN'S CREED UNITY
7.0 - CALL OF DUTY ADVANCED WARFARE, LITTLE BIG PLANET 3, NEVER ALONE (PSN), LAST OF US: LEFT BEHIND (PSN), KING'S QUEST EPISODE 1 (PSN)

2014 ratings

Return to It Won't Go Left